Linux users of Victoria
This is the working wiki for Members of LUV and the committee.
To visit the website go to http://www.luv.asn.au
Intermediate/Advanced - Wed 2 (note Melbourne Cup, so meeting changes) - Trinity
- Andrew Griffiths - Drop it Like it's Hot
This talk will cover assorted things about privilege dropping on Linux systems, where things can/have gone wrong and how to identify programs that have failed to sufficiently drop their privileges. Additionally, this talk will cover per-thread uid/gid/capabilities and the pitfalls of that approach.. "Andrew Griffiths" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Beginners — Sat 19th - The Hub
- Alex Garber — OpenShot
Intermediate/Advanced - Tue 6 - Trinity
- (tentative) Ben - patents
Beginners - Sat 17 - The Hub
- Programming Tips, Tricks and Tools for Novices — Alec Clews
Learning to program can be a daunting activity. As well as learning a computer language there is a significant amount of other knowledge and information to absorb -- apparently much of it through osmosis. Additionally can also be very hard to organise your objectives and work to reach your end goal.
This presentation will use real examples and demonstrations to cover some of these topics. Specific tools will be used as illustrations but the ideas will be applicable no matter what tool set is available.
- Issues with development: e.g. Bugs, tedium, never releasing working product
- Useful Processes and Ideas: User Stories, Test Driven Development, Minimal Viable Product
- Tools to support the programming process:
- Version Control
- Using a sophisticated editor. Editors vs. IDEs
- Automation of testing and other things
- Organising your code and Building software